Welcome to a world where culinary borders blur, creating delightful fusions that tantalize the taste buds. Today, we're combining the creamy, coffee-laced Italian classic – tiramisu – with the earthy, vibrant tones of matcha. This Matcha Tiramisu recipe offers a fresh take on the beloved dessert, perfect for gatherings or as a sophisticated treat for your afternoon tea.
The Fusion of Flavours
Matcha, the finely ground green tea powder, is revered in Japanese culture for its rich flavour and numerous health benefits. When infused in the tiramisu, it adds a subtle grassy note that beautifully contrasts with the sweet, creamy layers, creating a dessert that's as visually stunning as it is delicious.
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (240ml) mascarpone cheese
- 1 1/2 cups (360ml) heavy cream
- 2 cups (480ml) strong brewed green tea, cooled
- 1 tablespoon Kato Matcha Summer Harvest, plus extra for dusting
- 1 package (200g) ladyfingers (Savoiardi biscuits)
- Dark chocolate shavings, for garnish
1. Prepare Matcha Mixture: In a bowl, whisk together the strong brewed green tea and 1 tablespoon of matcha powder. Set aside.
2. Egg Yolks and Sugar: In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and granulated sugar until the mixture is pale and thick.
3. Add Mascarpone: Gently fold the mascarpone cheese into the egg yolk mixture until just combined. Be careful not to overmix.
4. Whip Heavy Cream: In another bowl, whip the heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Gently fold the whipped cream into the mascarpone mixture.
5. Assemble the Tiramisu: Quickly dip each ladyfinger into the matcha mixture (do not soak them). Lay them in a single layer in a 9x9 inch dish. Spread half of the mascarpone mixture over the ladyfingers. Repeat with another layer of dipped ladyfingers and finish with the remaining mascarpone mixture.
6. Chill: Cover and refrigerate the tiramisu for at least 4 hours, or overnight.
7. Serve: Before serving, dust the top with additional matcha powder and garnish with dark chocolate shavings.
Tips for Perfect Matcha Tiramisu
- Quality Matcha: Use Kato Matcha Summer Harvest for the best flavour.
- Ladyfinger Placement: Arrange the ladyfingers in tight rows to ensure that each bite has a balanced layer of cookies and cream.
- Chill Time: Allowing the tiramisu to chill for a sufficient time is key for the flavours to meld and the dessert to set properly.
Matcha Tiramisu is a stunning example of how traditional dishes can be reimagined to create new culinary delights. Whether you're a tiramisu aficionado or a matcha enthusiast, this dessert is sure to impress with its unique blend of flavours and textures.